About Me

My photo
19 years old from the UK, I have always loved a good book and a cup of tea, and am often asked to recommend books I have loved, thus created this blog in order to share my thoughts with whoever is interested. Please share recommendations if you wish!

Monday 7 September 2015

Born survivors- Wendy Holden

This book was not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a fiction book, based on real events, but a story none the less- something woven and, although probably accurate, a depiction of events rather than a written account. This is not what I got- but oh was it so much better.

This book follows the stories of three very real expectant mothers during the holocaust. The stories are laid out in an interview/account style with recollections and memories from the three ladies as of the time of writing. I can’t stress enough that this book is in no way a ‘story’ per say but is an accurate historical account. As you can imagine it is wholly gripping. This incredibly unique telling of the lives of these three ladies is remarkable and allows you to view the suffering of the victims of this monsterous point in history in a way, I personally, have never seen before.

I was extremely moved whilst reading this book- by 50 pages in I was crying. Due to the style of this book you are so connected to the ‘characters’ that it is impossible not to sit in heartbreak for the suffering these ladies endured. What really gripped me were the tiny stories interwoven into each ladies main story- I don’t want to go into too much detail because you really need to read it for yourself to truly appreciate these memories. These ‘untold’ miracles and accounts truly blew me away and I was left speechless at the courage and risk others took in the face of such fear and oppression.

Everyone should read this book. It is so important that the holocaust is never forgotten, to stop anything like this every happening again and to draw attention to atrocities that are currently happening in the world now. Literature such as this book is vital for coming close to understanding what truly went on during this horrifying time- it is especially important for the younger generation, 15/16+ to learn about what happened. A fantastic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment