About Me

My photo
19 years old from the UK, I have always loved a good book and a cup of tea, and am often asked to recommend books I have loved, thus created this blog in order to share my thoughts with whoever is interested. Please share recommendations if you wish!

Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Fault In Our Stars- John Green

Warning: my opinion is somewhat controversial in regards to this book.

I wanted to write about this book before seeing the film so that my thoughts and views are not tarnished or altered by the way the book has been interpreted by film makers, and as I am seeing the film tonight (eekk) I thought I had better get a move on.

I have to admit I had HIGH expectations for The fault in our stars because at the time of purchase I was very much into 'youtube culture' and had heard hundreds of shining reviews and decelerations of how outstanding amazing and perfect it is. I was not left disappointed as much as somewhat unenthused at the end.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic book, a lovely story and obviously the writing is beautiful; I have never read an author who is so quotable, however I feel like the 'hype' surrounding the book spoils it and is distracting. What started as a moving, beautiful and intelligently written book has turned into, well, something of a cult.

That being said, I recommend this book time and time again, not only is it an easy read (in the sense that you don't feel dragged along or tangle) but it strives to teach you a little about life itself and is an honest representation of many aspects of the lives of young people. Although I do think that the story itself does lean towards the teenage girl genre, the writing style and eloquence ellivate the book to another level, allowing it to be accessible to all ages (please bare in mind scenes of an 'over PG' nature).

I must comment on the title which I do think is utterly perfect, coming from Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars but in ourselves'"

Personally, the title sums up the book perfectly. This a lovely book and more than well worth reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment