About Me

My photo
19 years old from the UK, I have always loved a good book and a cup of tea, and am often asked to recommend books I have loved, thus created this blog in order to share my thoughts with whoever is interested. Please share recommendations if you wish!

Saturday 11 July 2015

My 'to re-read' list

I have been searching my bookcase and shelves and found so many books I had forgetting about wanting to reread, here I’ve shared just a few. Re – reading is something I love to do when I don’t have anything else on the go, but I do find it hard to make time for it!

The Art of Racing in the Rain- Garth Stein:  written from the point of a dog this book is truly unique. I love Garth Steins work and I loved this book dearly when I first read it many years ago; I did reread it subsequently but haven’t since and it is definitely one I would like to revisit. The story is also beautiful, wonderfully written and heartbreaking.

Elsewhere- Gabrielle Zevin: Basically this story of ‘heaven’ (elsewhere) where inhabitants get younger and return to earth as new born babies. I thought this was fascinating story and I would love to revisit it now with a slightly broader and older mind. I was young when I read this the first time around, and although I got a lot out of it, I imagine I would get much more from it now.

Grow up- Ben Brooks: This is a modern coming of age tale that is both wonderfully funny but also incredibly true. Its wickedly told and captures the nuances of teenage life in a way you probably haven’t read before. I first read this when I was in my first few years as a ‘proper’ teen and I would love to read it again to reflect on how I was growing up in those difficult teenage years. I imagine a lot of it makes much more sense to me now. I warn you though- I wouldn’t suggest this book for those younger than 16.


The bower bird- Ann Kelley: The first line of this book reads ‘I am not dead yet’ which sums up this book perfectly. We follow the story of Gussie a 12 year old who recently had open heart surgery and is waiting for a heart and lung transplant. A story all about how she wants to grow up and experience normal things like running on a beach and kissing a boy. This is a very humbling book and, like the others in this post, I want to revisit it with an older mind.

What I was- Meg Rosoff: This is yet another coming of age story but this one focuses on a much less discussed aspect of growing up. I am reluctant to go into more detail as it spoils the story but this is a brilliant, what I like to call, question book; it leaves you wondering a lot about the story and makes you think and question. A very interesting and unusual read.

The island- Victoria Hislop: I fell in love with this book when I read it because it is beautifully written and a brilliantly heartbreaking tale. The writing was so great in this book that for the longest time I so desperately wanted to visit the place it was, and still do to this day. It’s based on a fascinating piece of history but one you probably haven’t read or heard much about before: leper colonies. I would whole heartedly recommend this book, and Hislops work in generally as she is a truly wonderful writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment